Thursday, February 28, 2013

Action Read's Employment Track Express Computer Basics

Action Read's Employment Track Express Program at the Guelph Products Action Centre
 
Action Read has been very helpful to clients who take furthering their education seriously” Community Partner

Action Read is once again offering our free Employment Track Express’ (ETE) computer course for members of the community, workers or laid-off workers. In response to changes in Canada’s labour force, workers are encouraged to improve their employability by developing computer and literacy skills. Human resource managers also recognize an ever-increasing need for these skills in the workplace. 

The ETE program is a unique 60-hour course which integrates basic computer skills, literacy, skills assessment, job preparation and job search skills. Participants will learn how to do internet searches, with particular focus on labour market research and online job search. They will learn the basic functions of the computer in order to be able to prepare or update resumes and cover letters. They will also receive support or referrals with any writing, reading or other Essential Skill needs they may have. Finally, Action Read will connect with community partners in order to best serve the employment and training needs of participants.

The course is limited to 10 participants and fills quickly. Action Read has received ETE program funding from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) until March 31, 2013.

Action Read has delivered ETE courses to adult learners with employment goals, as well as laid-off workers for the past 3 years - with great results.  They have delivered it in partnership with local Action Centres, manufacturing companies and community partners. Past participants have greatly benefited from the program, as demonstrated from their feedback;

The instructor was helpful and very knowledgeable in all aspects of the program. We feel that many people in the community could benefit from this program.  Dorothy and Beth

I think the program is a good start of going forward to leaning more computer skills to help you be more ready for the workforce and for finding that job you want.  Kim

I wanted to thank you again for teaching me so much in the computer class, and to let you know that I have been accepted into the college's "Educational Assistant" course. When I read over the course description for the computer modules, I found that it just about matched what you taught me!! I sat there saying "Yup, I can do that", and "Yes, I learned that in my class". It felt great!! So, once again, thank you!  Alison D.

I have benefitted from the program and am still learning. I feel more confident. This program is extremely important for my generation which has not grown up with using computers. Without knowing how to use computers we become burdens to our family members and to the community. Everything is going paperless. I liked the instructor; he was patient and has a vast knowledge of computers.  Rangit

Action Read Community Literacy Centre is a non-profit, charitable, community literacy program dedicated to improving the literacy and numeracy skills of adults and families in the City of Guelph since 1987. It relies on the support of the United Way, local and provincial governments, service clubs and many individuals to offer adults and families free and accessible literacy programming. Call Action Read at 519-836-2759 or visit at 2 Quebec Street, Suite 220. For information on the ETE course, please ask for Joanne Morant.  


No comments:

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger

Blog List